Incident Date: July 7, 1949
Department: Lewiston Fire Department (ME)
Number of Line-of-Duty Deaths: 2
Two Lewiston firefighters died from injuries sustained when apparatus from Lewiston and Auburn collided at Court and Main Streets in Auburn while responding to a fire alarm on July 7, 1949. Patrolman Norman C. Philbrick, who was directing traffic, was also killed in the crash.
Died from Injuries Sustained in the Crash
More About Memorial Monday
Memorial Monday is established to remember the sacrifice of firefighters who died in the line of duty before the National Memorial was created in 1981. On the last Monday of every month, a firefighter, or groups of firefighters, will be remembered through information located about the firefighter and their sacrifice.
- Memorial Monday – Auburn Apparatus Collision
- Memorial Monday – Swanson Office Building Fire
- Memorial Monday – Jass Manufacturing Company Fire
- Memorial Monday – St. Louis Streetcar Collision
- Memorial Monday – Strand Theatre Fire
- Memorial Monday – Tru-Fit Clothing Company Fire
- Memorial Monday – Hubbard Street Fire