Each year, firefighters and communities gather at 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb events across the U.S. to remember the brave men and women that died on September 11, 2001. This annual tradition will continue in 2020, with many of our local climbs expanding to include virtual options or adapting to an all-virtual format to adhere to varying social distancing and travel guidelines.
“Even amid this global health crisis, people are looking for new ways to come together and do good. The Foundation’s annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs, now with virtual options, remind us that we can unite to help others, even though we are physically apart,” said Chief Ron Siarnicki, Executive Director of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. “These new virtual events are an opportunity for people around the world to step up for a hero as part of any climb they wish, at a place they choose, anytime from September 11 to December 31, 2020.”
Our new virtual climber toolkit includes:
- Opening Ceremony Video – Many who have climbed with us before know that our live events include an opening ceremony to thank everyone and get everyone ready for the climb. Our Virtual Stair Climb Toolkit includes one too. Watch online before you climb to remember.
- 343 Roll Call – You will receive a link to watch before/after your climb including all the firefighters we honor at each climb.
- Printable Honor Badges – You can download our honor badge collection, choose the hero or heroes that you will climb in honor of, and print their badge(s) to carry with you during your climb.
- Virtual Bell – Once you have completed your climb, you will ring the “Virtual Bell,” by playing the 5-5-5 bell video to remember your firefighter. We encourage you to post a photo or video of yourself completing your journey using the hashtags #911stairclimb #neverforget #NFFFstairclimbs.
- Invitation to a Special Stair Climber Facebook Group – Interact with other climbers across the country, share how you are honoring firefighters with your climb, and get ideas from other climbers too!
- Virtual Climber T-Shirt – You will receive a special shirt made especially for our 2020 virtual climbers. Your shirt will arrive after December 31, 2020.
To find our 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs and climb options available visit firehero.org/2020-climbs and join our 9/11 Stair Climber Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/614013305878166/. Remember, that your climb supports the FDNY Counseling Services Unit and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. These programs assist the families of fallen firefighters and provides support to firefighters who are on the front lines.
How to prepare for the NFFF 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb
This video outlines some simple steps you can take to prepare your body for the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb in your community. Follow these suggestions and you’ll be better prepared to complete the climb, and recover faster in the days following. This exercise program should be started as soon as possible before a climb, ideally no less than 30 days prior to the event.