June 9, 2023 – June 11, 2023, All Day
Two Locations New Hardwick, NJ – , Hardwick, NJ
Get driving directions
We are pleased to invite you and your children to attend the Hal Bruno Kids Camp in New Jersey, June 9-11, 2023.
In the game of Dominoes, it’s necessary to align like pieces – two dots to two dots, six to six, etc. It’s how you move forward in the game. While grief is not a game, it can be helpful to meet others who, like you, have experienced the loss of a loved one. Finding that connection – those whose dots align with yours – is what the Hal Bruno Camp does.
This special weekend-long camp gives grieving children a safe space to share with peers who have suffered a similar loss and a chance to just be “kids at camp,” and is open to children, stepchildren, or siblings whose firefighter parent or sibling has been honored at the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial.
Hal Bruno Comfort Zone Camp (Ages 7 – 17)
- This year’s camp will be held at Camp Mason in Hardwick Township, New Jersey. The Comfort Zone Camp program is a partnership with NFFF that empowers children and teens to grieve, heal, and grow after the death of a parent.
- The program is designed and implemented by CZC staff and trained volunteers to help campers process their grief in a dynamic camp setting. A member of the NFFF staff will be on site for the duration of camp.
Camp HAL (Healing After Loss) (Ages 4 – 6)
- This camp for younger children will be held at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Parsippany, New Jersey, which is just 45 minutes away from the CZC camp location. This camp program is led by a licensed therapist who specializes in working with young children who are grieving.
- With support from NFFF staff and volunteers, the camp program uses play therapy and expressive therapy to help children express themselves in their natural language. Camp HAL will include a mix of activities appropriate for this age group, as well as some activities for children and parents together. Children will stay with their parents overnight and during those times when they are not in camp sessions.
On Saturday at the hotel, there will be a two-part session for all parents/guardians.
- The first session will be presentation by Lisa Athan. The second session you will have a choice between a peer-led or facilitated discussion, where parents can speak with one another about parenting challenges and strategies.
- The NFFF staff will provide dinner and a movie for Camp HAL campers on Saturday evening to allow all parents/guardians time to enjoy dinner out and spend time connecting with one another.
We hope that you and your children will join us for camp.
Through the generous support of a grant from the Department of Justice, camp is provided free of charge to campers.
NFFF will reimburse families up to $660 in travel expenses for each camper and for one parent or guardian after full participation in the camp weekend. Reimbursement forms will be provided after camp.
- Please book flights to arrive at Newark Airport (EWR) Friday, June 9, between 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Plan to depart after 7:00 pm on Sunday, June 11 or Monday, June 12 between 7:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- Ground transportation between the hotel and Camp Mason; between the airport and hotel, and some meals will be provided for registered participants.
The 2023 CZC camp for ages 7 – 17 is currently full; however, we are maintaining a wait list through the registration link. Should an opening become available, we will fill the opening in the order in which campers were placed on the wait list. Camp HAL for 4- to 6-year-olds still has openings on a first-come, first-served basis until camp is full or until registration closes on Friday, May 12, 2023.