How Do I Coordinate a 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb?
The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation has created a detailed IAP to assist coordinators with planning a 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb. Specific components of this model will need to be modified in accordance with the individual local and venue, but the basic steps of planning are:
- Secure a venue and gather insurance requirements: Ideally, this is a high-rise building with an enclosed stairway, service elevator, and loading dock or covered area for staging. You will need to consult with the venue managers to determine what insurance coverage is needed to hold your event.
- Sign up to host a 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb to benefit the NFFF: E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up and get started setting up your event.
- Market the events: Inform fire service organizations and general public in your region about participating in the 9-11 Memorial Stair Climb, and contact local businesses for sponsorship support.
- Register participants: The NFFF will work with you to set up, test, and launch your online registration. If you choose register your participants through a system other than the NFFF registration system, the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation will not provide insurance coverage for your event.
- Stage the event: Order t-shirts and procure sufficient water for participants; ensure that logistical needs are in place; and coordinate set-up on the day before the event.
- Run the event: On the date of your event you will coordinate command staff and volunteers to carry out a safe, successful, and meaningful 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb.
How Does the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Support the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb?
The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation (NFFF) provides staff support for coordinators at all stages of event planning. The NFFF coordinates online registration for 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs. If you choose to use the NFFF online registration, the NFFF will provide liability coverage for your event.
How Do the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs Support the Work of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation?
The registration fees and donations received from the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb events are designated to honor the fallen firefighters that died on September 11, 2001. This includes providing assistance to the surviving family members and co-workers of the 343 firefighters who were killed on 9/11.
Stair Climbs also reinforce the 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives of the Everyone Goes Home® program by promoting physical fitness and firefighter training. The Incident Command System in place during the event enables firefighters, officers, and command staff to practice skills needed during high-rise incident operations.