The Congressional Fire Services Institute (CFSI) and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation (NFFF) are accepting applications for the Senator Paul S. Sarbanes Fire Service Safety Leadership Award. The Sarbanes Award recognizes organizations for outstanding leadership in advancing firefighter health and safety. The award presentation will take place at the 29th Annual National Fire and Emergency Services Dinner on April 6, 2017 in Washington, DC. Over 2,000 state and national fire service leaders are expected to attend the program hosted by CFSI. The program will feature remarks from national political leaders and award presentations recognizing both individuals and organizations for leadership at the national level.
The goals of the Senator Sarbanes Award are described by the following five points:
- Helping to advance the 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives originally developed by the American fire service during the 2004 National Fire Service Summit hosted by the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation in Tampa, FL, and reaffirmed at the Tampa 2 Summit in 2014.
- Advocating the need to address firefighter health and safety and becoming an advocate for this cause.
- Promoting and supporting firefighter health and safety initiatives at the local, state or national level.
- Reaching out to other organizations and developing partnerships to further the cause of firefighter health and safety.
- Engaging government leaders at all levels to work together for changes and for the establishment of government programs that can enhance the personal safety of firefighters.
CFSI is using an online application process on their website at www.cfsi.org. Click here for more information about the Sarbanes Award. Applicants are asked to provide detailed answers to all questions. For additional information about the Sarbanes Award, please contact CFSI at 202-371-1277.
CFSI will provide coach-class travel and hotel accommodations at the Washington Hilton for one representative of the recipient organization. The Senator Paul S. Sarbanes Fire Service Safety Leadership Award is made possible by the generous support of State Farm Insurance and VFIS, the corporate cosponsors.