James Mckenzie

Captain Mckenzie was on duty when a structure fire was dispatched to an address on Jay Street. Captain Mckenzie answered the call alone and shortly after the arrival of other firefighters on scene, Captain Mckenzie was overcome. Captain Mckenzie collapsed after walking from the building and was rushed by a cruiser to Pikeville Hospital. The cause of the fire ended up being determined as arson. Captain McKenzie later succumbed to his injuries and passed away due to respiratory complications related to the incident. During the incident natural gas was released and lit off which was a contributing factor to the injuries suffered.