The Foundation offers financial assistance for post-secondary education and training to spouses, life partners, children and stepchildren of firefighters honored at the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial. Children and stepchildren must be under age 30 and have been under age 22 at the time of the firefighter’s death.
NFFF Scholarship Funds
The Alan Patrick Sondej Memorial Scholarship Fund is the ﬁrst National Fallen Firefighters Foundation scholarship fund that is designed to provide scholarships that satisfy the full four year cost of college tuition, books and, where possible, room and board. The scholarship awards made by the Alan Patrick Sondej Memorial Scholarship Fund will be issued on a bi-annual basis, meaning that every other year, a new freshman will receive a four-year commitment. Awards are based on an evaluation of academic achievement and need. In order to get onto a bi-annual cycle beginning with the 2018-19 academic year, the Alan Patrick Sondej Memorial Scholarship Fund awarded a four-year scholarship to a freshman and a two-year scholarship to a junior. The next four-year scholarship will be awarded in the spring of 2020 to a freshman.
Spouses, life partners, children, and stepchildren of firefighters honored at the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial are eligible to apply for the NFFF Sarbanes Scholarship Program and our partner programs. The NFFF Sarbanes Scholarships are awarded for undergraduate and graduate studies, vocational-technical training, and certification and job training programs. They may be used for study at in-state or out-of-state public and private schools.
Since 1997, the Foundation and its partners have awarded 1,138 scholarships totaling over $3,741,000 to spouses, children, and stepchildren of fallen firefighters from over 25 states. Fields of study for the recipients have ranged from Accounting to Auto Mechanics, and from Fire Science to Elementary Education.
2010 – 2011 | 2009 – 2010 | 2008 – 2009 | 2007 – 2008
NFFF Scholarship Program News
- NFFF Al Sondej Memorial Scholarship Announcement
- New Scholarship Honors Extraordinary Life of Fallen Firefighter
- The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and Its Partners Award 78 Scholarships
- There is Still Time to Apply for the 2018 – 2019 Sarbanes Scholarship
- Sarbanes Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
- NFFF Partners with Columbia Southern University for Special Scholarship Opportunity
- Scholarships Awarded to 70 Survivors of Fallen Firefighters
- Fulfilling educational dreams for spouses or life partners of fallen firefighters